I love a lot of “swirl” in my coffee cake, so I tested this one and it’s a keeper… This cake is moist, not like a “bread.” Hope you try it and like it too. Let me know your thoughts!! I would imagine you can bake them as a cupcake with a choice of wonderful frostings found on this site.
1 box spice cake mix
1 pkg Marie Callander’s apple muffin mix or any apple muffin mix (6 oz size)
3 eggs (I used Egg Beaters)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 c yogurt (I used the one with cream on the top)
1/3 c oil
1 Tbsp instant coffee
2 fresh chopped apples (peeled and cored)
1 c chopped nuts (I used pecan, cause it’s all I had on hand)
1 c almond milk
FOR CINNAMON SWIRL
1/2 c melted butter
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 c light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
FOR ICING (OPTIONAL)
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp almond milk
1. For Cake: Sift together all the dry ingredients several times – cake and muffin mix, instant coffee, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
2. In stand mixer, using paddle, starting on slow speed blend dry ingredients with eggs (one at a time).
3. Add yogurt, milk, oil. Blend on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add apples and nuts. Blend a few more minutes until all ingredients are incorporated scraping the sides often.
5. CINNAMON SWIRL (best to do this after batter has been mixed as it only takes a minute). Melt butter. Add sugars and cinnamon. If mixture is too thick add a few teaspoons of milk until the consistency of gravy.
6. Pour your batters in prepared pans. For this one I used 6 mini loaf pans, filling to about 3/4 full. Test Kitchen Note: We used a 9×13 pan.
7. Dollop cinnamon swirl onto the batter 2 tablespoons at a time.
8. With a knife, gently swirl the cinnamon through being careful not to touch the bottom. NOTE: I learned the hard way, it sticks to the bottom and cake is difficult to get out.
9. BAKE @ 350 for how however many minutes, depending on size pan. For the mini loaf pans, it took 30-33 minutes. It also depends on your oven. Test Kitchen Note: It took 40 minutes for our 9×13 pan.
10. If you want an icing, with a mix whisk 3 tbsp of powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1-2 tbsp of almond milk.
11. Drizzle or spread over cooled cakes.