Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: About 1 cup
- 12 oz wide egg noodles
- 12 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp light butter
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for a vegetarian dish)
- 1 cup reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅛ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- ¼ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook pasta and broccoli together in a large pot of salted water according to package directions for al denté. Drain.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook another minute or until the flour is golden and well combined.
- Add milk and broth and raise heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil. Cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick. Whisk frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked macaroni and broccoli and mix well. Pour into baking dish.
- Top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and breadcrumbs. Lightly mist with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
- Per Serving (About 1 cup):
- Smartpoints: 7
- Calories: 234
- Fat: 5g
- Sat. Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 12g
- Sugars: 3g
- Sodium: 438mg