I found this recipe many years ago in a cookbook. It has been a favorite that I’ve made a lot for the past 30 years. I have also used this batter to bake muffin. I entered the muffins in the County Fair and won the blue ribbon. This is an excellent recipe that can be made the night before and baked the next morning. Enjoy!
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c sugar
1 1/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 c blueberries, fresh
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar
1. In a mixing bowl beat egg and sugar until thick.
2. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Alternately add flour and milk to egg mixture. Beat after each addition until blended.
4. Stir in melted butter.
5. Fold in blueberries.
6. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
7. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Brush top with remaining butter. Cool before cutting.
9. *** NOTE *** When making muffins with this recipe I bake them about 18-20 minutes. Check oven to be sure that they spring back before removing.