Recipe By: MomMom
“OOh’s and Mmmm’s before, during, and after eating this bacon will become common place for your household. Every time I just suggest cooking this recipe, those sounds begin. My grandmother, my mother, and me cook this bacon for our family and friends, and it is always a favorite once it has been tried by one and all. This is excellent for breakfast, snacks, or upgrade your BLT to a place it has never been before. Once you have had bacon this way, it will be very hard to go back to the way you did it before you discover this treasure of a recipe. Something so simple CAN be so wonderful!”
- 1 pound thick sliced bacon
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 pinch white sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Cut the bacon strips in half, and place into a shallow dish with the half-and-half, crisscrossing the bacon in a star pattern. Soak the bacon a minimum of 30 minutes, but no more than 2 hours. This step helps reduce the curling of the bacon during frying, tenderizes it, and adds a wonderful flavor.
- Stir together the flour, salt, pepper, and sugar in another shallow dish until blended; set aside. When the bacon has finished soaking, remove it from the half-and-half, and shake off the excess. Press each piece into the flour mixture to coat, then set aside. If desired, you can place a sheet of wax paper between the rows of bacon once the plate is coved. However, the flour does a good job of keeping the bacon from sticking to each other.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium-low heat. Fry the bacon in batches until browned and cooked to desired degree of crispness, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.