1. Start your pudding with cooked white rice.
2. Combine the cooked rice, sugar, and the milk or cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid has reduced and the pudding has thickened. This should take about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in dried or fresh fruit, toasted nuts, or a dash of spice. Try a combination of bananas and cinnamon or toasted walnuts and a bit of nutmeg.
5. If you like a rich pudding, try mixing in a bit of beaten egg and some additional milk. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes to cook the egg and thicken the pudding. If desired, stir in a bit of cold butter to add sheen.
6. Spoon your pudding into individual serving dishes; serve warm or chilled.