For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and liberally grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well between each addition.
- Pour mixture into prepared bundt pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 60-65 minutes.
- Set the cake aside to cool and make the glaze. Combine sugar, butter, water, and vanilla in a small saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Stir continuously until butter melts and sugar has dissolved.
- Using a knife or wooden dowel, poke holes all over the top of the cake and pour the glaze evenly over the top.
- Allow cake to cool completely in the pan, and then invert onto your serving plate. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- Note: feel free to make this cake a day ahead. This gives the glaze time to really sink into the cake.