- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place 6 tablespoons butter in 9×13-inch baking dish, then place baking dish in oven for butter to melt.
- Sprinkle pecans over melted butter, then set baking dish aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, milk and vanilla until mixture comes together.
- Pour batter over pecans and spread gently into an even layer. Don’t mix pecans into the batter once batter gets poured into baking dish.
- Sprinkle brown sugar in an even layer on top of cake (without mixing), then carefully pour hot water on top of sugar.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.