- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Brown beef in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat, then drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and sauté onions until softened and translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place beef and onions in slow cooker, then add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, rice and bell peppers.
- Season with oregano and basil and add in bay leaf.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6-8.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, then ladle into serving bowls and serve hot.