2 – 1/2 c flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c shortening ( cold ) i always use crisco
12 Tbsp butter, sliced and cold
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 – 1/2 c ice water
10 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (if peaches are out of season, use thawed frozen peaches) i used 3-16 ounce bags
1 c sugar
1 c water
1/4 c butter
1/4 tsp each – nutmeg, cinnamon
3 – 4 Tbsp flour
1. Make the crust and chill 30 minutes. Sift the flour, salt, and sugar . Add to food processor; add the shortening, pulse about 6 times. Add the cold butter, pulse 5 – 6 times, then add the water, pulse till all forms a ball. Cut dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap and chill.
2. Filling: Melt butter in a med – large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the sugar and water and cook until sugar is dissolved. Add nutmeg, salt, peaches,cinnamon and flour and cook for 5 minutes. ( or until thickened )Cool.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
4. Assemble: Once dough is chilled, remove from the refrigerator and roll each disk into a 9-inch square approximately 1/4-inch thick. Place into a 9 x 13 sprayed baking dish. I used my fingers to press into place. Bring up on the sides of dish about an inch.
5. Pour the cooled filling into the crust. Roll out the top crust; place over the filling ( I roll the dough onto my rolling pin, then roll onto filling) does not have to be perfect. I cut 4 – 6 slits to vent. I brush the top with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbly ( about 45 minutes ). Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.