Recipe By: Chef John
“In my humble opinion, this crispy, crunchy, cheesy masterpiece is the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. Make sure you follow some basic rules for this to work properly. Only use airy, nutritionally insignificant white bread. Use a nice sharp cheddar and be sure to use a quality non-stick pan over medium to medium-low heat.”
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Place bread slices in the skillet on top of the melted butter.
- Spread about 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese on one slice of bread; place the other slice of bread, butter-side up, on top of the cheese. Spread about 2 tablespoons of cheese on top of the sandwich.
- Melt remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter in the skillet next to the sandwich. Flip the sandwich onto the melted butter so that the cheese-side is facing down. Spread remaining cheese on top of the sandwich. Cook sandwich until cheese on the bottom is crispy and caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip sandwich and cook until cheese is crispy and caramelized on the other side, another 3 to 4 minutes.